Just for fun

Yesterday evening, I sat down to paint something just for fun for a change. I know, I know, If I am not already having fun painting my models, I am perhaps doing it wrong. But if you’re – like me – a painter by necessity rather than by trade, working on your army is sometimes more of a chore than a pleasure.

So I knew better than to ignore my fancy: When I felt my motivation growing, I was quick to humour it. Here’s what I got:

First up is a Dark Eldar Kabalite warrior. The Dark Eldar were my first 40k army, and the new models where my original reason for getting back into the hobby in 2010 in the first place. You don’t need me to tell you that the new sculpts are fantastic, so I got a box of Warriors and Wyches respectively to add to my older models. But while putting them together, I realised that converting Chaos Space Marines just felt more enjoyable to me. In addition, Dark Eldar are also not an army I would enjoy playing (far too many bells and whistles), so I was ultimately drawn back to my World Eaters.

But still, every time I take a look at my cousin Andy’s growing Dark Eldar army with its ton of cool conversions, I always feel that I would like to build and convert a force of my own. So I just wanted to paint up one of my Dark Eldar models in order to scratch that constant itch.

I decided on a quick and dirty approach and completed the model in about an hour. While it certainly doesn’t look brilliant, working on the Kabalite warrior was still a nice change of pace and it gave me the opportunity to use my favourite colour in the World, Vallejo’s Milenario Halcon Turquoise, again.

Pleased with my initial success, I then decided to give it another shot and paint a second model. This time, I chose a Chaos Space Marine I built ages ago to serve as a Word Bearer.

As you can see, he had a change of empoyer somewhere along the way and now boasts the colours of the Iron Warriors. While the World Eaters remain my favourite traitor legion, the Iron Warriors and Word Bearers easily tie for second place. And for some time now, I’ve been collecting suitable bits in order to convert some Iron Warriors legionnaires. I have no intention of starting an Iron Warriors force, but I might try something smaller, a Kill Team for Special Operations Killzone, for example.

When painting the model, I chose a very quick approach once again. The resulting paintjob is a little more sloppy than I would have liked, but it turned out alright, I guess. My hand wasn’t steady enough to manage some truly convincing hazard stripes, and there’s a couple of rough spots on the model, but I think it’s not too bad for a test piece. At least I managed to get the Decal on the legionnaire’s right shoulder pad to look halfway decent.

All in all, not a bad turnout. At least for me 😉

So, what do we learn from this? I guess one thing would be this: If you feel the need to paint something, go for it, even if it has nothing to do with the army you are working on at the moment. The change of pace will break up the monotony, and you might learn some new trick or technique along the way.

Oh, and never underestimate a colour scheme, only because it’s 80% Boltgun Metal 😉

Have a nice weekend, everyone! As always, thanks for looking and stay tuned for more!

Advertisements

4 Responses to “Just for fun”

  1. I think you are your own worst enemy as both models look awesome. Great work on creating and exciting a dynamic paint scheme. The hazards look straight from this side of the internet. One reason may be that the weapon appears to be weather/damaged thus making up for your deviation on creating a straight line. Your Iron warrior appears to have a tint of blue to his metallic armour. What have you done to create this effect? A blue wash or perhaps a glaze? Please tell.

    • Thanks man, that’s nice of you to say! I guess the general fuzziness of the pictures works in my advantage and helps to mask my worst mistakes, though 😉
      I guess the blue tint must be due to the photo too, since the armour was painted with Boltgun Metal and only washed with the New GW Nuln Oil. That made it a lot darker but nothing else. I did do a small OSL effect on the eyes of the model, though. I used my (very old) GW Enchanted Blue for that and mixed it with Skull White as desired.

  2. […] of inspiration when I posted one of my own Dark Eldar Kabalite Warriors that I painted on a whim last Friday. So it seems only logical to allow you a glimpse of what my dear cousin is working on in his dark […]

  3. […] completed Warsmith in my collection: An Iron Warriors test model I just painted for the heck of it what feels like ages ago. Here it […]

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: